What is SEO and web design?
How to be found on Google?
So, let’s park SEO for a second, and dive into the specifics how Google works without being too technical. The way Google operates is that it sends out “spiders” to crawl the internet, and systematically gather information about websites and their content. It will then index that information so it can determine the order it will display all the website pages out there when someone is searching for a specific keyword or question in a Google search.
You may have heard about the Google algorithm which gives each website page on the internet a score that decides the ranking for a particular keyword search or a keyword phrase.
There are more than 200 ranking factors to consider, ranging from a fraction to several percent of importance. The question is, where should you start?
The competition on Google is enormous
You might ask yourself “How can you even compete on the Internet today when there are many trillion web pages and the number is constantly growing”?
Only on Google there are over 100 Billion searches per month!
The answer is simple; You don’t need to compete with them all! You“only” need to compete with your competitor in the area where you offer your services.
On-page SEO is optimising your website with the keywords so Google and other search engines understand what your website is about. It is not about a fix and getting your website on the first page of Google for whatever your keyword phrase is. If it was that simple, no one would be on the second page. It is as simple as that. But if you plan to work with your website and do internet marketing you are heading the right direction! This can also be called Off-Page SEO. Off-Page SEO is all the good stuff you can do on the web that will boost your websites ranking. This is extremely important once all your On-Page SEO is optimised. With the whole package, you website might lead you to more money as internet is just filled with potential clients.
On-Page SEO for websites
Without the On-Page SEO on your website, Google and the search engines might interpret your website as something completely different. There are many areas in the website that the search engines read and regard as very important information. If those areas have the wrong keywords, you will not get anywhere in a relevant search and you are wasting your money on different internet marketing strategies.
No guarantees – We can’t control Google
There are no guarantees with a search result. Google changes its logarithms many times a year. Google is doing its best to give you the most relevant and interesting search result, and not a search result that only big corporate companies could pay for. It will crawl all website, try to understand the information in all the different areas and then present you with website that will provide you with the most relevant and comprehensive information.
Website SEO and keywords
A big part of SEO on your website is about focusing on the right keywords. You might focus on a keyword phrase, for example: “website design company for small business” and it turns out that 10 (not a lot, but still 10 people and therefore potential customers) actually search: “small business website design services”. Thus it would be much better if you used that phrase a few times in the important areas of the website and target those potential clients.
Website Adelaide always considers web design and SEO together from start.
We take care of everything so you can focus on running your business. We’ll listen to what you want, talk about what your business has to offer and then come back to you with all the content to fill the pages of your website for the best possilbe on page SEO.
SEO 101 Beginners Guide – How do I do SEO for my website?
Most small business owners have the same question when they launch a website. What is the first step with SEO?
In order to improve your online visibility and website page ranking, there are two fundamental search optimisation areas that need to be addressed.
You need to have a so called on-page and off-page SEO approach, and you need a methodical step-by-step approach to each of them, and you need patience
The on-page SEO refers to all factors you can deploy and technically implement on the actual website to ensure your position in the search ranking is improved so that your website pages get served as high up as possible when someone is searching for specific information.
Off-page SEO is everything else that does not happen on your website but has great importance for search ranking. These are also part of the Google ranking factors.
Check out this broad overview of the most important Google ranking factors which needs to be tackled with SEO.
On page factors
Website loading speed
Content relevance and depth
Key words and key word phrases
Meta title and descriptions
Off page factors
Social media optimisation
Use of Google my business
Download website on-page SEO DIY!
Download a free simple SEO guide and find out some of the top worst words for your website SEO!
I will only use your email for an occasional email about website update suggestions or news. You can unsubscribe at any time. Powered by MailChimp.
SEO factors Website Adelaide always works with when we write the content and design your website:
On page Strategy
- Are you using the right keywords? Is anyone searching with those words in Google?
- Keyword density – no keyword stuffing
- Your keywords should not be less than 2-3% of total content.
How much text/copy do you have on your website. If you have too few words on the website pages, the search engines might not even index them. The recommended number of words is a minimum of 500 words per page. If there are many competing businesses in Adelaide, you need more words and 1000 words per page ideally.
Make sure there you have good and relevant:
- meta titles on all pages
- meta descriptions all pages
- A websites Url’s is very important to the SEO. For example a url that is wwww.websiteadelaide.com/aboutus is not as good as www.websiteadelaide.com/webdesignerinadelaide. Look at your URL’s and see if they make some sence to the search engines and preferably some good keywords.
- Make sure every page has a minimum of 1 H1 heading coded the right way.
- Larger text areas should be divided with subheadings coded with h2 and so forth. You will benefit from having subheadings and use keywords that are relevant to the text paragraph.
Some important keywords on some pages can be bold to emphises the importance of those words.
However, only a few and too many will send the wrong signal to Google and might harm your SEO. It is therefore important that headings are coded with css they way they should look and not be marked as bold.
- Large images files slows down a website and is not good for SEO. Even if your image is small on the screen/your website, the system might be resizing it for the display. Make sure the images don’t exceed the recommended image size (avoid any images being larger than 200kb).
- We also use a plugin if needed to compress the images even further.
- Images should have alt, title and description tags as Google and the search engines cant read or understand an image without these codes and they make a difference to your on-page SEO.
- Clear contact details on a contact page is important. We make sure your website has what Google is looking for and match it with your Google my business page.
- Footer makes a difference as well. Make sure your website has what Google is looking for in the footer.
- Make sure external links open in a new browser window, and if too many external links on a page, add the code no-follow for Google.
- Internal links between the pages of the website is good SEO practice. Try to link good keywords and make sure the keywords are present on the target page.
Make sure you have a xml-site map and submit it to Google. This is a sitemap that is not found and used by your visitors, it’s there seo the search engines can find all your different pages.
Use a plugin that allows WordPress to use caching on your website pages. Caching will make the website faster as it will “remember the look and content of the page” rather than loading and reading all the codes every time. In a chaching plugin there will be settings for how often the pages should be cleared from its caching. When you make an update on the website, you will be able to empty cache so anyone visiting the website after your update, can see the latest version.
All In One SEO
It is very good to have a SEO plugin installed on your website. These plugin allows you to customise some of the information Google and the search engines are looking for when crawling your website. The SEO plugin might not help you in a search, it just gives you the ability to control the information you want the search engines to read and understand about your website.